Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Amazon Concordance

I was looking for the first time at the Amazon Concordance Page
of my novel.  The concordance itself is misleading in one respect,
that it includes the page headings when doing its word counts. 
"Unholy" and "quest", do not really appear much in the text of the
book.  "Enright" never really appears in the text, and "John"
occurs rarely.

What really amused me was my computerized readability ratings.  I
got a Flesch-Kincaid Index of 4.1, which would suggest the book can be
read by 4th graders!  I hope none of them are reading it.

Another funny feature on the page is the SIPs (Statistically Improbable
Phrases).  I scored only two: "float board" and "cotton
shift".  All that puzzles me is why these are improbable. 
Partly it's that these objects figured in the story line, and that's
unusual.

I'm glad to give a lift
To the use of "cotton shift".

No comments: