Monday, February 27, 2023

Port’s Prayer

 Muse, I have done as you asked, I have tried hard to serve. 

Dazzled I was, by the sound of the spoken word,

Spoken with aural charms but not yet sung,

Spoken with nothing but tones from my native tongue,

Entrancing so strangely, spelled out, as they were, in plain sight,

But casting a spell nonetheless and I eagerly sought

To learn the devices, the rhythms, the echoes of sounds,

And the art of compressing the meaning to something intense,

With figures of speech, and allusions, and quick turns of sense. 

Long have I labored through love at this troublesome task. 

Muse, I have struggled to serve. I have done what you asked. 

It was all I could do, and I hope that it pleased you at times,

As I poured out my thoughts in this tumbling cascade of rhymes.

No comments: