Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Lawmaker, Lawbreaker

When Illinois raised its alcohol taxes, I predicted increased smuggling from neighboring states.

But I didn't predict this:
A Massachusetts Democratic state rep who voted to raise alcohol taxes and slap the increased state sales tax on hootch on top of that is caught buying bottles across the border in New Hampshire. . . . It’s a thing of beauty.
I think that's fair. Just because he thinks citizens should pay, why should legislators have to do so?

But maybe they should have been explicit about this exception.

Is it too late to add a note -
any sales tax for which we vote
doesn't apply
to what we buy!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I drive to NH to buy my beer,
And everything else I don't eat or wear.
In increasing taxes their vision was great -
Now we buy all our goods in another state.

Frustrated en Masse

John E. said...

I suppose I would be doing the same thing. When we lived in NY we would make shopping trips for clothes to New Jersey, where the sales tax on clothes was much less.