Monday, May 31, 2010

Day of Remembrance

I watched our neighborhood Memorial Day parade today.

On the military side, there were some vets, and a high school ROTC unit. The ROTC group looked very disciplined. The vets looked like ordinary guys.

We also had the local pro-peace group, with the "Support our troops - bring them home" message. I think the Quakers were involved. The pro-peace people have a characteristic look. To me it looks like a mix of moral righteousness and fear. I've seen this look at most antiwar protests I have observed.

I always wonder about the fear I perceive. I suspect it may be that the acceptance of pacifism, as an outlook, is actually fear-inducing.

Does announcing that you will never rebuff a violent attack
leave you worried that someone might just take a whack?

No comments: