Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Reading Can Be Fun

We had the reading of my new play, Wild Flowers. It went very well. There are some things I want to change, but they are of the non-catastrophic variety, and the audience seemed to have a great time, so I'm very happy. We identified a stretch that dragged a bit. I want to clarify some motivation a bit, too.

Thank you to the cast: Amanda June Bracklein as Maggie, Linus Lee as Jason, Bil Gaines as Trent, and Rachel Martindale as Yuliana. Thank you to Lance Brett Hall for casting 3 of those actors, and for facilitating the discussion afterward. Thank you to Dream Theatre Company for hosting the event and for participating in it!

There's this funny psychological effect, I find, of listening to a play - and listening to it with an audience. It's not ESP, of course, but there's a natural awareness of the audience that somehow tells you a lot - even before they speak a word afterwards.

I don't know how, but it's real:
you sense what they feel.

2 comments:

Charlie McDanger said...

I suspect it has something to do with the thunderous applause and tears of enlightenment.

John Enright said...

I will admit that I love sincere-sounding applause.