Saturday, February 04, 2012

Politics by Photo Puzzle



Tyler Cowen asks how we know - just from looking at this photo - whether this woman's politics lean left or right. Click on it to make it bigger if you want.

Actually, he specified which one we know. And he has links to her blog and twitter accounts to verify. (See item 3 here.)

A lot of his commenters focus on her clothing and her hair. A couple go for her ethnicity, which didn't occur to me. Some are interested in her age in combination with the other factors, such as her weight. A few are concerned with expression, which is what I naturally took an interest in.

I have the pre-existing idea that people of different American locales and worldviews *present* themselves differently - have different characteristic facial expressions. These are maddeningly hard to nail down. But actors often adopt different facial expressions for different characters they play.

So, how does she look to you -
red or blue?

3 comments:

Arena said...

She looks liberal. Like someone who does yoga, is vegetarian, feels guilty for her own success, and that others won't give to those less fortunate and therefore believes the govt need to step in to 'take care' of those 'less fortunate'. And I am basing this on the hair, jewelry and even t-shirt. Haven't looked at the answer yet....lemme see if I'm right....

John Enright said...

You're pretty good at this.

Jasmine Smith said...

I just found this blog a while back when a friend suggested it to me. I have been a regular reader ever since.