Sunday, April 14, 2013

Cemetery Cycling


I was out riding my bike today and I rode through 4 local cemeteries - 2 to visit relatives' graves - and 2 just to look around. (Yes, all 4 seem to allow bicycles.)

Mt. Hope Cemetery, where I have no relatives, seems to be in a distressed condition. It looks like it was once a fine place. But now the very southwest corner of it is actually semi-submerged in water. At least it was today, and a few years ago I saw the same thing. We did have a lot of rain this week, but I found it quite disturbing.

You can see pictures of some of it's failings here. Here's just one, as a sample:

hope8

I don't understand what the water problem is. How did it develop? When they originally buried folks in those spots, it obviously wasn't a pond at that time. What has gone wrong in the mean time? There is a sewer drainage system evidently in place - there are drainage grills, etc. But something's not working, I guess.

Lately this cemetery is in the local news because of allegation, made by neighbors, that it has become the popular burial ground for local street gangs.

Bury me not
in a wetland spot.

No comments: