Sunday, April 06, 2014

Mind and Cosmos at Book Club

Today at our book study group we discussed the controversial book by Thomas Nagel, Mind and Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature Is Almost Certainly False.

I led the discussion, having nominated the book, because I was curious to see what all the fuss was about. People found the book difficult, but enjoyed because it was thought-provoking. I fit in that category, too.

Nagel believes it is important, to him at least, that the existence of life is not a "fluke".

I agree with him completely that the potential for life's existence had to be always present in the universe. Actuality today is proof of potential yesterday. But I'm not sure why the "likelihood" of the potential being realized is important.

Likely or not, it's clear
life is here.

No comments: