Monday, January 19, 2015

Great Galloping Gonads

Yesterday I related that horrible story about a demonic wife who took a scissors to her husband's private parts. Twice.

Today I see that Elizabeth Scalia published a rant called "Twilight of the Vaginas". I felt a little embarrassed to read it, because it seems somehow like a just-among-us-women fight, but I enjoyed it anyway.

"Let’s stop obsessing over a gift women did nothing to earn and over which they therefore can claim no bragging right."

The occasion of Scalia's rant is that Eve Ensler's theater piece, The Vagina Monologues, is now being trashed as transphobic, because, as their theory has it, some women are born with exclusively male private parts.

Anyway, I have my doubts about Scalia's theory of bragging rights. I think people routinely brag about what they are and what they have, whether they have earned those things or not. And I'm not going to be the spoilsport who tells the genetically gifted that they can't brag about their good looks, their brains, or their athletic ability, as the case may be.

I would agree with her if she said "and for which they therefore can claim no moral credit."

Bragging is normally not in good taste,
but must it always be morally based?

2 comments:

Charlie McDanger said...

Well said. My favorite such bragging rights are those of sports fans.

John Enright said...

Very good example. I forgot about that one while I was writing. That one does periodically puzzle me a bit.