Friday, May 01, 2020

Sightings

I've seen a number of serious presidential candidates in person. Hubert Humphrey. Al Gore. John Anderson. And I've seen some presidential motorcades go by - Obama's and I think Reagan's - where I figured the president was in one of those black cars.

But the only time I've actually seen an American president in the flesh was when Donald Trump was in Chicago, for a ground-breaking ceremony for his local Trump skyscraper hotel, years ago. I just happened to be walking by. There he was, talking to a bunch of reporters, standing tall, commanding attention, the way he does. He has stage presence.

I don't know how I never saw Obama in person. Well, I might have, before he had achieved prominence. He went to church about a mile from my house. But I was never aware of seeing him.

Despite being a lifelong USA resident,
I've only seen one president
In person, so far.
I'm not counting the ones who drove by in a car,
Whizzing past fast
Behind darkened glass.

1 comment:

sink dish washing said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.