Thursday, August 03, 2023

Children

I certainly have heard it argued sincerely
That having children is not itself rewarding.
I must admit I find this argument frightful,
Believing as I do that they’re delightful.
Tastes vary of course. You may find children merely
Annoying tenants that you’re stuck with boarding.

I’ve heard it argued that their earliest years
Are times to be endured, not much enjoyed.
I scratch my head. What infants have they known?
Our hearts may quiver when we see their tears,
But that’s a sign our hearts are well employed
At vital work. We feel it. It is shown.

I’ve heard it argued all the fun comes after
A child is grown, but have you heard their laughter?
Their little voices ringing out like bells,
Dispelling gloom, bestowing benediction,
Becoming over time a glad addiction,
Rejuvenating spirits like nothing else.

No comments: