Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Needed: Flux Capacitor

In today's Chicago Tribune, Clarence Page takes a close look at a story told by Barack Obama at the recent civil rights commemoration in Selma:
"There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama," he preached, "because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So [my parents] got together, and Barack Obama Jr. was born. So don't tell me I don't have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don't tell me I'm not coming home to Selma, Alabama."
It was such a spellbinding story that I almost didn't want to wonder how the 1965 march could have led to the senator's birth, which happened four years earlier. We might call it a story too good to allow the facts to get in the way were he not a presidential candidate.
Thus does a tale of time travel
Begin to unravel.

1 comment:

FHB said...

Sheesh. You know, this sort of crud (the truth)is always getting in the way of a good line. Reminds me of John Belushi's rousing speach in Animal House, where he says the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. One guy listening says to another "Germans?" The second guy says "Never mind. He's rolling." Surprised the media hasn't jumped on it.

By the way, thanks for coming over.