Sunday, June 10, 2007

Passport Surprise

So they made a new rule that Americans flying to Mexico or Canada or the Caribbean needed passports.

And then the passport issuers were surprised when... they were flooded with passport applications!

I love this quote:

What we did not anticipate adequately enough was the American citizens' willingness and desire to comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative in the timeframe that they did...

The new rules haven't been axed
But for now they're slightly relaxed.

2 comments:

Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

My passport expired recently. I'm going to Barbados this week. So, a week ago, I waited in line for *6* hours to get a new one. *AND* I paid $157 to have the process expedited. Less than a week later, they relaxed the rules. I was not a happy camper.

I would have gotten a new passport eventually anyway, but -- had they had even an ounce of forethought on this one -- I (nor countless others) wouldn't have stood in line so long nor paid as much money.

John Enright said...

Yes, it's a bad time to have your passport expiring. I got mine out to look at it just to make sure I had a couple of years still!

Here's hoping you have a great time in Barbados!