Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cake


This is a phone photo of my spectacular surprise gift for father's day AND my upcoming birthday: a big canvas, "Cake", by Jennifer Cronin. It was part of her recent show at the Elephant Room Gallery.

I know I mentioned it before as my favorite of the show, and now I get to see it all the time!

It's funny, isn't it, how you are just struck by a certain artist's work. In Cronin's case, I first saw a couple of her paintings in an art show at Dream Theatre. I noticed I was spending a lot of time staring at her paintings. It wasn't just that they were beautiful, but they made me feel something I had trouble putting a name on. I think when art really speaks to you, the experience is often like that - hard to describe.

Which is why people like to say
that words get in the way.

Personally, I think words CAN get in the way, but I also think that if you wait, and let the words form over time, one by one, as you contemplate the work, you can learn what it is saying to you.

You start off feeling dumb,
but watch; the words will come.

No comments: