Saturday, July 06, 2013

Mulberries As A Running Supplement

Mulberry trees are considered weed trees here in the Chicago area. They grow even when you don't want them to grow. And when their berries ripen, they drop and stain the concrete and street. You never hear of anyone around here baking a mulberry pie, although Wikipedia assures me the practice is common.

It may be the kind of mulberries that we have. I think it's this kind:

The fruit of the white mulberry, an east Asian species which is extensively naturalized in urban regions of eastern North America, has a different flavor, sometimes characterized as insipid.

Who would want to eat something with a flavor that's insipid?

Yes, you guessed it. Me.

Particularly today, I was out running for a couple of hours in the heat, and I would come up on some ripe mulberries hanging over my route, I was eager to partake. I mean, people, me included, sometimes pay money to carry things like Powergel packets on their runs. And what is in those gel packs? Sugar. Maybe some anti-oxidants. About the same stuff that's in mulberries! And how do you imagine those gel packs taste? Well, to me they're not even as tasty as mulberries. And the mulberries, when they're in season, are free for the picking.

powergelmulberry

But one drawback is plain.
Mulberries tend to stain.

No comments: