Sunday, August 11, 2013

Chills in the Heat

I did a long run today, with the outdoor temperature in the low 80s Fahrenheit, and in the last half mile I felt a "chill" or two. I'm tuned in to notice these "paradoxical chills" when working out on warm days. I always figure it's a warning sign, and I always back off. But what is it a warning sign of? Well here's a guy who wrote into a medical advice website:

"Today while I was about halfway through my run, I noticed that I was starting to get some chills and had goosebumps. I was probably pushing myself a little bit harder than usual, but it's not like I've never pushed myself to the limit before. Could this have been a sign of impending heat exhaustion?"

Curiously, the responding doctor says it could be a number of things, but if the person is able to write this question then it wasn't anything too serious! But the doc says heat exhaustion can include the goosebump symptom - and heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke, which is where your temperature climbs up to 104 or higher.

"Heat stroke requires immediate medical attention to prevent permanent damage to your brain and vital organs that can result in death."

At 104,
you may be at death's door.

No comments: