Thursday, October 31, 2013

Riddles

There's a riddle going around Facebook, and the gimmick is that if you cannot answer correctly you put a giraffe photo for your profile photo. The riddle's pretty easy, as riddles go. But I hear there are a lot of giraffe photos showing.

Chatting with a friend, I happened to remember an old riddle that impressed me as a child.

You are standing on planet Earth. You walk a mile north. You walk a mile west. You walk a mile south. You are right back where you started. Where is that?

The description may sound queer
but there is such a spot on the sphere.

3 comments:

Charlie said...

That also happens to be a very simple place to give directions from.

John Enright said...

Simple yet puzzling!

Charlie said...

The idea occurred to me as a guy in a booth who just tells everybody, "Go north," but now that you mention it, I can see how there might be practical difficulties down there, in older times.