Sunday, October 22, 2006

Marathon Madness

The winner of today's Chicago Marathon slipped and fell just as he reached the tape. He had to be driven off in a golfcart. I hope he's okay enough to enjoy his winnings. He just made $125,000.00 in 2 hours and 7 minutes and 35 seconds.

At mile 24 of the marathon, I was feeling fine. That's because I didn't run the race. I just went to watch and cheer.


Mostly I cheered for people who met the following 2 conditions:

1) No headphones
2) Name on shirt

That way I could call their name ("Go Joe!) and they would actually hear me.

Maybe later in the year
Someplace far away from here
I'll run and someone else can cheer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"At mile 24 of the marathon, I was feeling fine. That's because I didn't run the race. I just went to watch and cheer."

LAUGHED OUT LOUD!! Brilliant!

John Enright said...

Ha. Glad you liked that one. I was struck by how miserable-but-happy most of the runners looked.