Sunday, December 31, 2006

Polar Bear Festivities


New Year's Day at noon, at North Avenue Beach, a group of us will be taking a ceremonial dip in the waters of Lake Michigan. It's free, so if you're in the neighborhood, feel free to join us. Of course, I may chicken out.

I guess the idea is to start off the year adventurously, thus preparing oneself to tackle the serious problems of the world.

Or maybe it's just a goofy stunt.

We'll dive in boldly
With exuberant howls.

We'll stumble out coldly
Desperate for towels.

UPDATE: The water wasn't too bad. Afterwards I snapped a shot, which you can see above, of a couple of latecomer participants.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I've known about these "Polar Bears"! Always thought they were nuts! ha! I'm surprised you're one of the bears, too! :)

Happy New Year, John. :)

John Enright said...

Happy New Year, Jerry!