Thursday, October 04, 2007

Flag Pin Mania

There's a news story that Obama has stopped wearing a flag pin.

He used to wear one. But he decided flag pins were substitutes for true patriotism - which consists in speaking out about important national security issues.

Admittedly, he speaks with scrambled syntax:
“The truth is that right after 9/11 I had a pin,” Obama said. “Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we’re talking about the Iraq War, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security.”
My question: is he saying that "speaking out on issues" is the main measure of true patriotism?

Given his "never say die"
Delight in speaking out
He might be the most patriotic guy
You'll ever hear about!

The funny thing is, I don't care if he wears the pin. I don't wear a pin. But his explanation bothers me. I suppose this is a recurring theme at this blog - me scratching my head over other people's explanations!

No comments: