Sunday, October 07, 2007

Chicago Scorchathon

I know some people who were running the Chicago Marathon today. It got way too hot for marathoning - 88 degrees F. They shut the race down early.

300 runners went to the hospital. One man died.
About 10,000 of the 45,000 registered runners chose to not race in the heat despite more mist stations, cooling buses and water-soaked sponges, while another 10,934 started but didn't finish, officials said.
I've done this race many times, but I am glad I wasn't signed up for today.

By the end I would have felt
Like a pavement-patty-melt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now here's a strange effect of the heat, from the same article:

"Cheruiyot was in position to contend but stomach craps forced him to drop back after 22 miles."

John Enright said...

"stomach craps"!!!

Sounds extra scary, to say the least.

Must have slipped by the reporter's spell-checker.

I had missed it too. Good catch!