Friday, February 19, 2010

Serenity Now!

I think Ann Althouse is right to object to public school programs requiring students to meditate.
Somehow the Other's religion is neuroscience, to be imposed on rowdy children to make them serene. Thanks, Hollywood liberals. You know, I can't think of one Hollywood movie about kids that had a placid protagonist.
If private schools want to require it, that's one thing. I certainly recited my prayers aloud in Catholic school. But the wall between church and state should exclude this stuff in state schools.

Althouse really lets loose in the comments.
Because all we have is our time. How dare you steal time, systematically, on a daily basis from children? Let a school be a school, and leave the spiritual training to the family and the individual.
...
If I was a kid in a classroom where they did this to me, there is no way I would think about my breathing. I would think about how much I objected to being treated this way. I would either misbehave and get punished (or drugged) or I would compose vicious essays and stories in my head, and put them up on the internet later.
I love her for these 2 comments, above all because she remembers what it's like to be a kid.

In too many schools
they're treated like fools.

No comments: