Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Out From Under

Nigerians hacked into his mail
and put his house up for sale.

That's the story from down under:
An international cybercrime investigation is underway into a sophisticated scam network that left a Western Australian man half a million dollars out of pocket when criminals sold his Perth investment property using stolen credentials.
I have a big question - can't this man recover his stolen property? Who is really taking a loss under Aussie law? The article doesn't address this issue.

By the way, how did Nigerians become the world's most outrageous internet scam artists?

Even now, are they trying to sell
the place where I dwell?

4 comments:

Charlie McDanger said...

A watched pot never boils, but it also doesn't get sold by Nigerian hackers.

John E. said...

Ha! Did he never notice that someone else was conducting business in his email account? Or when they hacked in did they change his password, so he couldn't see? But it's a red flag if you can't get into your own email!

Charlie McDanger said...

It does surprise me that they got through the whole process without tripping up at some point.

Then again, a blogger known to you and me had his brokerage accounts emptied when he was traveling overseas, under similar circumstances.

John Enright said...

That's horrible.

I certainly believe this stuff is feasible. I'm always interested in the fine points of how they work around the obstacles. They've spent a lot of time thinking about that.

Maybe I like to know because I imagine it will help me recognize the symptoms if someone ever does it to me.