Saturday, January 01, 2011

The King's Speech

We went to see The King's Speech. I had no idea what the film was about, going in, except that it had something to do with British royalty in the 20th century, a subject that doesn't usually fascinate me.

But the film was fascinating after all, because it was about a man's struggle with a speech impediment.

He is helped - almost against his will - by a self-taught Australian speech therapist - played by Geoffrey Rush.

Colin Firth transformed himself for the role of George VI. I believed he had a speech impediment. It was painful to watch him in the early parts of the film.

It's a hard thing
to try to be king
when normal speech
is out of reach.

3 comments:

Charlie McDanger said...

The year I realized the Academy Awards were just silly was the year they gave Best Actor to Russell Crowe for "Gladiator," over Geoffrey Rush for "Quills." I'll add this one to the list.

John Enright said...

Here's how dumb I am - I'm listening to Geoffrey Rush and thinking "He doesn't sound like he's doing an Australian accent especially." But he IS Australian.

Charlie McDanger said...

I'd say you were right!