Monday, April 04, 2011

Travels With Steinbeck

I must admit that I've never read Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck. I'm weak on the American Naturalists as a group. But friends have read it and liked it.

It was presented as a true account of a trip around America by John Steinbeck, accompanied by his poodle. It was a best-seller, and has moved into that vague status of modern classic.

But it turns out it wasn't a true account. Bill Steigerwald, a journalist, has a written rather revealing article at Reason:
Using clues from the book, biographies of Steinbeck, letters Steinbeck wrote from the road, newspaper articles, and the first draft of the Charley manuscript, I built a time-and-place line for Steinbeck’s trip from September 23, 1960, to December 5, 1960. The more I learned about Steinbeck’s actual journey, the less it resembled the one he described.
What Steinbeck did was turn a boring trip into an interesting and inspiring one. He turned it into a novel. But he claimed it as true.

Perhaps he figured
he'd gather more boodle
by claiming as true
his tale of the poodle.

2 comments:

Charlie McDanger said...

I had that book with me when I hitchhiked across the country eleven years ago.

I've heard nothing but praise for it since, but at the time it rang false. You can hear the typewriter clickety-clack as the author relays one unlikely quip after another.

Boo development! Boo maps! Boo interstates! There are your Cliff's Notes.

Kerouac's "On the Road," while presented as a novel, conveys infinitely more truth.

John Enright said...

Everyone believes Kerouac. He lived that story, even if he changed some names!