Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Boom Bust

I've been trying to figure out where the anti-boomer sentiment is coming from. A fair chunk of it is numerically inaccurate, in the sense of citing non-boomers as evidence of boomer failings.

But I think I've got it.

Our kids have grown up and are mad at us. Well, not my kids so much, but a lot of my fellow-boomers' kids are angry about the messy world they've inherited and they know it must be our fault. No doubt, in aggregate, some of it really is "our" fault. A few things are even "my" fault in particular. For instance, I have made some really awful puns in my life - puns for which I haven't yet been punished.

I think we're being unfairly picked on as a group. But I've decided it's pointless to defend ourselves. After all - who knows us better than our children?

Rather than trying to reason,
I'm simply committing treason,
denouncing my own generation,
in a spirit of self-flagellation:

The baby boom
is the cause of doom -
it has sucked all the oxygen out of the room!

No comments: