Sunday, December 13, 2015

In which I curse AT&T U-verse

We went from AT&T old fashioned DSL to AT&T U-verse, which I think is still some flavor of DSL as regards internet, but I believe our phone is now Voice Over Internet Protocol. Whoopee. I think there was a price break for making this upgrade.

Anyway, as soon as it was installed my wife started complaining about the performance. And I noticed a problem of my own, on my own pc, where when first waking up my pc was slow to fully connect wirelessly.

I did some googling and found that a lot of people blame the wireless part of the U-verse "gateway" device, so today I bought a new wireless router, disabled the U-verse native wireless, hooked up the new router as an "access point"... blah blah blah.

Basically, I'm using the wireless features of the new Netgear router, which is wired to the U-verse device.

I think it's working better. We'll see. Otherwise we will probably switch to one of the local cable providers for out broadband. There's one called WOW that people around here like.

Why, oh why, would AT&T use a so-so wireless technology, and force me to go out and buy a new router?

Before, I thought it was working pretty well.
"Upgrades" are often a golden road to hell.

No comments: