Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Invisible Man

I've started in on Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man, which I'm reading for the book club I'm in.

I suppose I shouldn't judge a book on its first 20 pages, but I'm not in love with it yet.

I'm actually a bit puzzled by the central metaphor of invisibility. I don't think it was ever the case that bigoted whites didn't look at black people. Perhaps Ellison just means that white people don't understand black people - don't see them as they really are.

I think the mutual misunderstandings are often extensive. The press is NOT especially good at helping to bridge the culture gaps, either. I suppose they're just worried about saying the wrong thing. It's one of those controversial third-rail topics.

We live side by side
Across a divide.

So much shared history.
Why all the mystery?

No comments: