Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Sacrifice

Sometimes Ayn Rand is criticized for her very negative take on "sacrifice." She took it to mean giving up a greater value for the sake of a lesser.

Some argue the word doesn't always mean that. And you do hear people use "sacrifice" sometimes to refer to things like being thrifty with their money in the present so that they can reap larger rewards later.

So I was struck at this little exchange in a novel I just finished reading:

"Mama." Searching for words, Kate turned her cup around and around. "I know how you and Dad sacrificed-"

"Wait." Dark eyes kindling, Natasha tapped her fingers hard on the table. "Maybe, after all these years my English is failing. I don't understand the word sacrifice when it comes to my children. You have never been a sacrifice."

(From Considering Kate by Nora Roberts.)

It's very rare that sacrifice
Means something warm and nice.

No comments: