Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Crime in the Street

I was talking to a neighbor woman today who had her purse snatched while walking to the train. A man walking behind her saw the snatch, and immediately called the police on his cell phone. The police caught the thief.

With witnesses carrying phones
To call up the coppers before you have flown,

With cameras all over the place
The better to catch a good pic of your face,

I'm forming the happy belief
That it's getting harder to live as a thief.

The exception is internet crime
Which simply seems to increase over time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"A man behind her saw the snatch"? That's no way to speak of a lady.

John Enright said...

Oops, I hadn't thought of that interpretation.

Correction: A man behind her saw the theft.

Anonymous said...

What's the other interpretation of "snatch"? I don't know... can someone enlighten me please?

John Enright said...

rude slang for female genitalia

Anonymous said...

Daayyam! Reeaally!? I had NO clue! What's up with me this week...I'm learning these new words that refer to the female genitalia... and I'm learning them the hard way!
Earlier this week, I embarrased myself when I asked a girl--quite innocently--what is the meaning of "vulva"? Being that she was a girl, and an INDIAN one too at that, she simply was stunned for a moment! Then she ran away. I was just left confused.... it only later that Wikipedia gave me a very graphic description of the word.

Whew!
How's a gay man like myself supposed to know these things?!?

John Enright said...

Ha. That's pretty funny, Ergo!