Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mystery Grandfather

Spent some time talking to my mother about her father. He was around when she was a newborn, but the only time she remembers meeting him is when she was 5. She seems to have a photo of the meeting. She does look happy. She never saw him again, though she got news up to about the time she was 11, when she received word her father's new wife had given birth to a girl, in Pittsburgh.

So somewhere out there I may still have a half-aunt I've never met.

For the first time I can recall, I actually got to see photos of my unknown grandfather, Harold "Gene" Wright. Good looking guy, and evidently quite a charmer. Was my mom hiding these photos before? She mentioned to me that she had long been curious what happened to him and his new family, but had squelched her interest, not being sure she wanted to complicate her life.

Life is complicated.
Simple is overrated.

No comments: