Monday, July 10, 2006

Gender Gap Rap

At least 2 of the TOC talks touched upon the perilous topic of innate gender differences in human beings.

Walter Donway, while talking about neuroscience and the nature of man, mentioned that there is an awful lot of evidence accumulating for innate gender differences. (He has been an editor of Cerebrum for years.)

Molly Johnson, while talking about the art of homemaking, maintained that women were generally better at it, but held out at least 2 possible explanations: innate differences OR 20,000 years of habitual roles. Whatever the cause, she didn't expect men to overcome their difficulties in this department any time soon. I know Molly's talk came in for some online mockery, but I have to admit I was fascinated by it.

One man present protested that her attitude - of female superiority - was condescending.

I, personally, did not feel condescended to.

A modicum of order
I've finally attained.
Mostly because
I've been trained.

No comments: