Monday, July 03, 2006

Poetry Reading

I did a poetry reading today. I thought it went well. I even met someone who now wants to translate some of my poems into Spanish - for newspaper publication. How cool would that be?

As handouts, I passed out pre-publication copies of my new poetry collection, More Fire. Most of these poems are available online in one place or another, but some people love "dead tree media." I suppose I'm one of them.

The great thing about reading my own poems is that I don't have to work up an interpretation and "motivation" for the speaker of the poem.

For other people's poems I have to ask
Why each word's exactly where it is.

For my poems, I get to skip that task.
At sensing my own nuance, I'm a whiz.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! How cool is that?! You're getting your poems published! Very cool.

Are they all the ones published on your "Unholy Quest" website? Is the Dead Tree one posted there? I'll go check.

John Enright said...

A lot of the ones on unholyquest.com are in the book.

"Dead Tree Media" is just a humorous term meaning "printed on paper"!

Anonymous said...

Ahh.. I see! That's a really cool slang term. I'm gonna have to start using that one.

Well, yea I've read most the poems on your site... unless you've written any new ones?

John Enright said...

There are a few that aren't online, not so much new as just never put up.