Friday, September 15, 2006

Holiday in Hell

Tomorrow night - Saturday 8 pm at my house - free - Don Parrish will talk about his 2005 trip to North Korea.

Very few Americans get to visit this last gasp Communist outpost which is now arming itself to the teeth.

Don Parrish has circled the globe many times. He has a background in engineering and international business negotiations. A careful student of geopolitcal history, Don can be counted on to provide deep and original insights.

Curious people cherish
Talks by Mr. Parrish.

A liberty lover
Who heads off to discover
What's really going on -
That's Don.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, could you ask Don, on my behalf, whether or not he left a copy of Rand's We The Living behind in N. Korea?? Maybe at a school...or on a bus.. or something like that?

John Enright said...

I'll be glad to ask him. It sounded like it was so tightly controlled that the answer is going to be no.

He explained that even his photos had a positive bias because they were required to ask permission for all their shots.

John Enright said...

Ergo, here is the word from the man himself:

"No I didn't, and we didn't see any schools. Frankly, I'm not sure how many people in North Korea have studied English. So if any one is thinking about doing something like this, I would suggest to have the book translated into Korean. Perhaps it has been done for the South Koreans already.

"I can report with pride that back in the 1960s, I did manage to get a copy of Atlas Shrugged into East Germany. I'm sure this was one of the first copies or even the first copy of Atlas in East Germany.

"I had many magazines seized by the East German customs people in the 1960s, and returned to me with the comment in German to the effect that these were propaganda against East Germany."

Anonymous said...

Wow. Cool! Thanks for asking, John. I read through Don's website on his visit to Korea... the place gives me the creeps, especially because the pictures look so calm and beautiful on the surface.

John Enright said...

Don said he didn't know why the streets were so empty. I have since read that pregnant women, old people, and bicycles are banned from Pyongyang, the capital. But even so, they look eerily deserted.