Saturday, September 23, 2006

Tracked from the Sky

I went running for the first time with a satellite GPS unit that told me how fast I was going and how far I had gone.

It's a Garmin Forerunner 201. I got it from Amazon for 109.99.

It took a little time at the start to establish the satellite link. Once I was running, it seemed to stay linked up - except when I was running under railroad viaducts. Of course, I was running mostly through Chicago neighborhoods - very flat, amid houses.

It had a few peculiarities. It doesn't really give you instantaneous speed. It gives you an average over a minute or so. So when you change speeds it takes a little while to really register.

It was fun to know
Just how fast, or rather... slow
My feet would go.

3 comments:

Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Heyyyyy, that's a pretty nifty gadget to own!! :)

Anonymous said...

You're such an avid athlete!

John Enright said...

It's just fun - and a fun gadget, too. I can't believe how cheap it is. Someone told me they don't work everywhere - that they are tweaked for North America.