Thursday, November 22, 2007

Preaching in Place

My wife and daughter attended the Thanksgiving ceremony at Rockefeller Memorial Chapel. That's Rockefeller as in John D.

They went to hear the performance of the Chicago Children's Choir. My daughter used to sing with them. Their performance, I'm told, was excellent.

Not so excellent was the chief sermonizer. He advocated moving beyond hybrid cars, and just staying in place and enjoying your community.

Who needs a car?
Just stay where you are!

You'll soon be feeling noble
If you keep yourself immobile.

A small exception can be made
To march in the Earth Day parade.

But here's what I find ironically funny:
That chapel was built with oil money.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A dandy tale of preachers and guilt;
Where it sayeth "build" I'd stick a "built."

p.s. Congrats on the book!

John Enright said...

Oops. My mistake on "build" vs. "built". I'll fix it.

And, thank you!