Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Proud At Last

"For the first time in my adult lifetime I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change." - Michelle Obama, yesterday, Feb. 18, 2008.

Some people want to stress the "really". But the "really" can cut either way. It can either mean "intensely" or it can mean "actually".

So is this the first time that she, as an adult, was intensely proud or actually proud of her country? Just wondering.

I started thinking about what that means, to be proud of your country. I guess it could mean a lot of things, especially when you consider that a country is a huge conglomeration of people, laws, geography, customs, etc.

But I'm glad she's finally really truly proud
Now that her husband's got a crowd
Of people hungry for change.

Still I think it's strange.

No comments: