Friday, December 26, 2008

Love of Country

Joel Stein says:
I've come to believe conservatives are right. They do love America more. Sure, we liberals claim that our love is deeper because we seek to improve the United States by pointing out its flaws. But calling your wife fat isn't love.
Still, he thinks the conservatives are just being tribalistic. But I'm guessing that he's trying to get a rise out of fellow liberals, because he ends like this:
I'm the type who always wonders if some other idea or place or system is better and I'm missing out. And, as I figured out shortly after meeting my wife, that is no way to love.
Will he get down on a knee, and sing,
"Oh say can you see", and offer a ring
to the land that he loves, and claim that his thing
for Sweden was merely a meaningless fling?

No comments: