Thursday, August 16, 2012

Possessed

Good news for the defendants:
Two suburban Chicago parents accused of binding and blindfolding two of their children in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Kansas will stand trial separately on felony child abuse and other charges, a Douglas County judge ruled Thursday.
I figure it's good news for them because in separate trials each can blame the other for the bad treatment of the children.

I wonder if their attorneys will try to make it a freedom of religion case:
At a preliminary hearing this week, investigators said Adolfo Gomez told them he had been listening to an online preacher who was predicting the end of the world and that a “darkness had come over” their house in Northlake, Ill.
One of the defense attorneys said the unusual child-rearing practice was intended as protection from demons.

As far as I can tell from the story, the children weren't physically hurt, so I do wonder about the fairness of "felony child abuse" charges in this case. On the other hand, these people do sound like they've lost touch with everyday reality.

I have a spell,
that works very well
at keeping demons away.

"Demons begone!
Get off of my lawn!"
I've barely seen any today.

No comments: