Friday, March 29, 2013

Knowledge of Spanish


I was occasionally able to make myself understood in Spanish, while in Argentina, which satisfied and amused me greatly.

Two examples linger with me, both cases in which my wife was having trouble getting an idea across.

The first was when she was trying to communicate "yacht club" to some people. I said "el club de barcos" (the club of boats) and they actually understood it.

The second was when she was trying to communicate "zoo" by saying "Jardín Zoológico" (zoological garden). The taxi driver couldn't quite understand the words as she was pronouncing them. I said "muchos animales" (many animals) and then it all clicked for him.

I even communicated some full sentences on occasion!

I am not good at languages.
They send me through the anguishes.

All that English stuff
was tough enough,
and now Spanish still
resists my will.

No comments: