Thursday, January 30, 2014

Axolotls

They're worried that axolotls have gone extinct in the wild. But they've still got some live ones in special axolotl sanctuaries. Here's a pic from Wikipedia:
axolotl
Reportedly, Mad Magazine published this poem involving axolotls in 1958. It's a parody of Wordsworth's "I wandered lonely as a cloud," which is a favorite poem of mine. In the original, the poet fondly and frequently recalls some daffodils he once saw. Here, the poet tries to forget some axolotls.

I wandered lonely as a clod,
Just picking up old rags and bottles,
When onward on my way I plod,
I saw a host of axolotls;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
A sight to make a man's blood freeze.

Some had handles, some were plain;
They came in blue, red pink, and green.
A few were orange in the main;
The damndest sight I've ever seen.
The females gave a sprightly glance;
The male ones all wore knee-length pants.

Now oft, when on the couch I lie,
The doctor asks me what I see.
They flash upon my inward eye
And make me laugh in fiendish glee.
I find my solace then in bottles,
And I forget them axolotls.

No comments: