Monday, August 11, 2014

Power Dynamics

Lana Del Rey is a singer who had a big hit called Summertime Sadness. In the video, it's dramatized around a lesbian relationship. I couldn't actually hear that orientation in the lyrics, but what do I know?

Then I ran into an essay by a lesbian, who wrote: 'I’ve been listening to Lana Del Rey’s Ultraviolence since its June release and here’s my review: gay conversion therapy is notoriously ineffective, but if I hear another Lana Del Rey song, I might switch teams on my own. Lana Del Rey makes me wish I were straight.'

I was somewhat amused by this line: 'And I rather like having a romantic relationship unobstructed by the stark power dynamics that inevitably come into play in heterosexual partnerships.'

Really? No power dynamics in same-sex relationships? Ever? I find this hard to believe. Or, is it just that same-sex power dynamics aren't "stark"?

But, again, what do I know?

Relationships flower
when they empower
hearts into flight
souls into light.

No comments: