Thursday, September 25, 2014

2nd Time Around

Guy came up to me on the street today at lunch. He was talking on his phone, a Blackberry I think. Looked to be my age, dressed like a businessman. Made eye contact and asked me if I'm from Chicago. Yes, I say. He says to the phone "I'll call you right back," and then he turns his eyes to mine.

"Don't laugh at me," he began.

And then it flashed back.

"I'm sorry," I said. "But we've met before."

"Oh," he said, looking concerned, and he turned away.

It's a scam. There's not really anyone he's talking to on that phone of his. It's a prop. He has a story about how his wallet was stolen and he needs money to get home to wherever. And I dealt with him once before.

Probably I gave him 5 bucks before, and realized afterward that it was a scam. I do get suckered. But not by the same guy twice.

And... this is at least my second repeat-scam experience. There's another guy who scammed me once. His story is that he needs cash to buy gas in a bad neighborhood. Yeah, I gave him money the first time. Not the second.

Fooling me once
wasn't so nice.
But I'm no dunce -
don't try it twice!

No comments: