Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Weighty Orientation Research

Apparently, lesbians tend to be overweight, and gay men tend to be in great shape. Statistically. So says science! Federally funded science, now that you mention it:

"By now, you’re probably wondering why the government is funding a study that, so far, has largely reinforced stereotypes of gays and lesbians."

I wasn't completely up to date on the stereotypes, myself, so I wasn't actually wondering that.

Anyway, they don't seem to have a very good reason for either of these countervailing tendencies. But, to me, it looks like you could explain a lot by a different old stereotype - namely that men tend to be more attracted by visual features. This might result in those who are trying to attract men - namely straight women and gay men - working harder to achieve slenderness.

Of course, stereotypes abound,
and I'm not sure which ones are sound.

No comments: