Sunday, October 18, 2015

Marathon

I ran a marathon yesterday. I had prepared oddly, perhaps even lackadaisically, due to my summer being occupied with my FringeNYC adventure.

2 weeks ago I actually ran 24 miles, but very slowly. So yesterday I tried to crank up the speed, and was rewarded with the threat of cramps in my thigh (quad) muscles - on both legs. They never fully seized up, charlie-horse style, but they were threatening. So I had to slow down a lot.

It was a lovely race on a forested trail along the Des Plaines River.

It started here:



I'm not sure why it's called that. I mean, it's near a road called Half Day Road, which is near another road called Old Half Day Road, but I don't know what it is with all these Halves.

Perhaps it's a conflict between the Halves and Have-Nots?

I believe the people deserve
a Full Day forest preserve.

UPDATE: Curiosity got the better of me and I researched this odd "half day" thing. Wikipedia has an article! Here's the wacky part:

'In reality, a horse and carriage could make it to Chicago in a half day but some believe the area was actually named after Potawatomi Chief Aptakisic, the chief at the time the area was settled. The name was anglicized as "Half Day" or "Hefda" and a cartographer spelled it "Half Day", and the misnomer stuck, giving rise to the reputed, but erroneous, derivation of the name.'

No comments: