Thursday, June 23, 2005

Dinner with a Marine

A good friend of my son's came over for dinner tonight. He's in the Marine Reserve and just got back from a tour of duty in Iraq. My wife stuffed him with food, including plenty of red meat, and we let him tell stories about what it was like in Iraq.

He's a smart, brave, and very impressive young man.

Periodically, he would mention some bit of dark twisted humor that appealed to the Marines in Iraq. He would start to explain, "well, yeah, this is really sick, but..." I suppose it's the feeling that no one over here can understand what it feels like to be over there.

But I have a fair imagination. I know war is heck. And somehow it's not the place for politically correct humor.

When all is well,
People don't like the way sick jokes sound.
But in hell,
They abound.

No comments: