Sunday, June 05, 2005

Noble Vision, Completed

I finished Gen LaGreca's novel, Noble Vision, a few minutes ago. I'm still under its spell, so this won't be a proper review, but I really enjoyed the book. It's a love story, a guide to how the government has messed up health care, and an inspiring tale of a battle against the bureaucratic mindset. The plot contains many surprises along the way, so I have to hold back and not spoil the story. Toward the end of the book, I was pausing after each chapter, afraid to go on. Why was I afraid? Because of characters I had started to love, who were moving forward into peril.

If you are familiar with Ayn Rand's writings, the influence - and the occasional homage - will be apparent to you. It's not that Noble Vision reads like a Rand novel. It doesn't. The story is definitely the author's own imagination at work.

The author is a professional writer in the health care field. Her style is generally of the deceptively-simple variety, which is a good way of making sure your reader follows your carefully-constructed suspense-plot. But periodically she bursts out with a sentence or two of poetry.

The book comes with the back-jacket endorsement of Milton Friedman, which is a tip-off that this is not your average love story. The author is intimately familiar with how the economics and politics of our health care system works today, and she projects how much worse it would be if states started implementing the "reforms" that so many "health care reformers" are always calling for, and how much better it would be if we could just get the state out of medicine.

But I knew all that. What held me was the spectacle of heroic characters fighting for their lives. That always holds me.

He has a noble vision
That requires an incision
And a drop or two of protein
At exactly the right time.

How can that be a crime?

No comments: