Saturday, June 25, 2005

Feeling Sorry for Ayn Rand

"Mr. Enright reads every newspaper in town. They are all brought to his office - with the editorial pages cut out." (The Fountainhead, speaking of the fictional Roger Enright.)

I'm emulating Roger so far in my reading of James Valliant's new book. I went straight to the 2nd half of the book, the half which is built around Ayn Rand's personal journals. I proceeded to read only the journal excerpts - skipping everything Valliant has to say.

Naturally, my eyes still slip and read some of Valliant's prose. But as soon as I realize this is happening, I fast-forward to Rand's next anguished but insightful thought.

I'll go back and read Valliant later.

Meanwhile, my heart goes out to her. I wish I could shout to her:

You're being deceived,
And you're caught in a trap,
Please stop believing
His "celibate" crap.

Of course, it's pointless to yell. She's deep on a trip into personal hell.

No comments: