Monday, August 14, 2006

Anna Evans' "Not A Sonnet"

Recently I read Anna Evans' chapbook of poems, Swimming. A lot of her poems are available online, but my favorite, "Not A Sonnet," was not.

It's set up as a dialog between the poet and her lover - a dialog about whether their conversation properly constitutes a sonnet.

Here's the 2nd quatrain. I've color coded the speakers' parts. His are blue, hers purple.

Aren't all sonnets meant to be about
love? you said. This isn't, so it's not
a sonnet. -You're in it, I pointed out,
and we're in love.
You said, Oh, I forgot.

In the 3rd quatrain she accuses him of being a philistine, suggesting, tongue in cheek, their love is doomed.

Then it twists home in the final couplet:

Well you're a geek, you said, but I would miss you.
And that is where I stopped the verse to kiss you.

I've seen sonnets before where the sonnet is about the process of writing a sonnet. Contemporary art loves self-contemplation. But this was a lot more interesting, particularly because of the dramatic tension between the two lovers.

A dialog in hot pursuit
Of sonnet form -
It's clever and cute
With hints of storm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a treat to google myself idly and find this entry! I appreciate you taking the time to write this, John! I have now put "Not a Sonnet" on my website too, if any of your readers wish to read the entire thing. Cheers! Anna Evans

John Enright said...

Oh, good! Just pop to her website, linked above, and read this very fun - and touching - poem!