Thursday, August 24, 2006

Live from the Harold Washington Library

I work across the street from Chicago's central library, and most days I spend about half of my lunch hour there. It's a "love it or hate it" building, of striking appearance and odd internal organization that baffles the first-time visitor.

From the outside
This library looks scary.
Gargoyle owls
Stare down from their aerie.

When you step inside
You feel confused.
You wonder whether
The architect snoozed.

But once you find
Those lovely books
You grab a few
And settle in a nook.

Your thoughts can fly
On their airy ways.
Be careful, or you'll
Stay all day!

Thanks to Ergo and Stolie for inspiring this post!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* yea... i miss doing things like that. Though I hated that library with a passion, I enjoyed the fact that one existed--and that it was infact a great library (not the structure).

I enjoyed the books and movies I picked up from there--borrowed Ayn Rand: Sense of Life and The Passion of Ayn Rand from there.

There's no such thing as a city library in Mumbai. :(

John Enright said...

Sorry to hear that there's no equivalent in Mumbai!